- CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 @ 3.2 GHz
- RAM: 8 GB
- OS: Linux, Fedora 21 x86_64
- LibBF version 2017-03-08 (AVX2 version)
- MPFFR 3.1.2
- GMP 6.0.0
The comparison is fair because:
- no multi-threading is used for both libraries ;
- both librairies use bit exact multiplication algorithms.
LibBF is slower than MPFR/GMP for numbers smaller than 50K
digits. However, for larger numbers it is up to 1.6x faster.
LibBF is slower for small numbers because its base case multiplication
is not optimized and because it has no specific algorithm for
intermediate size numbers (such as Karatsuba, Toom-Cook or floating point
Fabrice Bellard - http://bellard.org/